Thursday, February 12, 2009

Sniff Test

You change enough diapers as it is, why change extra, right? So, we're at a car dealership last night and I changed Peyton as soon as we got there. We went for a test drive and when we got back (maybe 30 mins later) I got her out of the car seat and was walking around the show room floor. It was later in the evening so it wasn't a real happening place, but several salesmen were still there and all of a sudden I smelled something. All mothers know what "the smell" is. You know when your kid "has gone", and you can't mistake that smell for anything. But for some reason you have to do the sniff test---just to make sure. You wouldn't want to change a "non-dirty" diaper, would you? Remember, you just changed one 1/2 an hour ago. So, I held her up......her butt right into my face and sure enough....I was right! Like I even had to check! It's like motherly instincts - when you know, you just know. I look in the glass window to see our reflection and a salesman walking up behind me, trying to hold his laugh in. He definitely saw the whole thing. It's not like I could cover up what I was doing. What would I have said? "I was going to put her on my shoulders, but missed?" Yeah right, so I started the laughing to let him know it was okay for him to burst out. But he politely just chuckled and said that he understood because he's been through it himself.

So.....is it not okay to do the sniff test in public? Did I miss the memo that it's only done at home?

4 comments:

  1. Sniff away! I've sniffed plenty of baby butts in public, and they weren't even my own kids. It's better than doing the "finger test" and risking getting some on your hand. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to be honest Kim... I am surprised that you even considered letting me post something like this.

    I have never done the sniff test on a baby since I myself have no kids yet, but I have done this several times for myself and my wife. This sounds funny, but sometimes I am so busy that I don't have time to use the restroom. It Depends (ha!). Now as for my wife, doesn't everyone do the sniff test with their spouse in public? I started this routine when we were dating. Actually, I think this is what attracted her to me. It is quite simple, sometimes you ask if you can but sometimes you have no choice but to lean down and double check. Does this answer your question for your baby sniff?


    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's absolutely acceptable to do the sniff test in public. I mean seriously, it could have just been a good fart and you're right, no wasting diapers. I don't even realize that I do the sniff test, it just happens and then I look around and feel like a retard. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's like from the movie Baby Mama....chocolate or poop?

    ReplyDelete